We are joining with Action on Empty Homes for an ‘Empty Homes Day of Action’ on Saturday April 17th 2021 Join us!
Rally 11am to 12pm, Saturday 17th April
Online rally with national speakers 11am – 12noon
John Bird Founder Big Issue, Steve Turner Assistant General Secretary Unite Will McMahon, Action on Empty Homes, Tanya Murat, Homes For All, Jon Glackin, Streets Kitchen, Ellen Clifford Author, Disabled People Against Cuts, Moyra Samuels Grenfell Campaigner, Tyrone Scott Shelter, Hannah Berry Greater Manchester Housing Action
Local Photoshoots and events on Saturday 17th April – ALL WELCOME!
2. Islington Homes for All Photoshoot at Breakout Café then Roman Way 10:45am
Other events taking place on the day include Newham, Harlow, Rochdale, Haringey. Check here for updates.
The Day of Action on 17th April aims to raise public awareness of the rising number of long-term empty homes and homes without a permanent resident in England.
Government and market data show there are around:
- 270,000 long-term empty homes
- 260,000 second-homes without no permanent resident
- 120,000 Airbnb type short-lets (London Councils estimate there are 80,000 short-lets in London alone)
We are calling this Day of Action for three reasons:
- The pandemic has highlighted the health impacts of Temporary Accommodation and overcrowding – it has created a health emergency.
- The wrong kind of housing is being built in metropolitan areas.
- Building the wrong kind of housing has created a crisis of affordability.
What will happen on the Day of Action?
- Campaigners will be staging photoshoots using campaign banners and placards outside new developments that do not contain any social housing, decanted council homes, housing association empty homes and older large residential properties that are long term empty.
- We will be live streaming a rally at 11am to 12pm, Saturday 17th April on multiple platforms including https://www.facebook.com/emptyhomes/ YouTube Action on Empty Homes YouTube Homes4ALLUK https://www.facebook.com/Homes4AllUK The online ‘rally’ will feature live streams from the local photoshoots as well as local and national speakers in the ‘studio’
- We will gather all the photoshoots and put them on our national websites and issue both local and national press releases for publicity purposes and demonstrate the breadth of support for the Day of Action. We aim to build a national picture of the problem.
How you can get involved
1. Organise your own local photoshoot or selfie for the Day of Action. Send your photos to email@example.com See below a step by step guide to organising your local event.
2. Order some of Day of Action posters for your photoshoot from Will at Action on Empty Homes – make a £10 donation to Action on Empty Homes to help us cover our costs – they will be available on Monday 22 March.
To order posters: E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The posters will carry the following messages and hashtags:
‘We are in a housing & health emergency!’ ‘Take Action on Empty Homes’ ‘Why is this home empty?’
#PrettyVacant #EmptyHomes #Fillemup #HomesNeedResidents #TheWrongHousing
Homes 4 All will also be using the hashtags
3. Put out a local press release – there will be a template on the AEH website for you to use if you want to.
4. To find how many empty homes there are in your council area click here. This tells you a lot about empty homes in your area. E.g. one in 9 homes in Kensington and Chelsea are “out of use”.
4. To find out about whole house Airbnbs in your council area visit here: https://www.airdna.co/
5. Use your social media to advertise the Day of Action.
We will post resources on our webpages to help you make the best impact on the day.
For more information call
Will at Action on Empty Homes on 07968 950223
Tanya at Homes 4 All on: 07792 786192
Background and resources
Southwark Defend Council Housing has been leading the campaign to #RequisitionEmptyHomes #FillEmptyCouncilHomes since Spring 2020 when it became obvious that the Coronavirus pandemic was killing people in overcrowded housing and homeless people at a much greater rate than the general population. Now, following the successful Homes 4 All Summit in February, Homes 4 All have agreed to take this campaign forward in collaboration with Action on Empty Homes.
To see the Southwark DCH petition and open letter to Southwark Council click here
To see the Southwark DCH arguments for councils to requisition empty homes click here
For more exciting facts about the successful post war peoples’ movement to requisition empty homes by Sam Burgum click here
Interested in organising an empty homes photoshoot your area? Below are all the resources you will need.
You can also order hard copy posters for your selfie or event and we can supply posters at A1, A2, A3 and A4 size
Letter inviting groups and organisations to support the day of action
Letter to candidates in local elections on May 6th CLICK HERE FOR LETTER – if an election is taking place in your area, the letter invites candidates to support the campaign
If you are unsure whether there are local elections in your area you can check by clicking here