Our next meeting will be held on 14th March 2020, 11am – 1pm at:
School of African and Asian Studies (SOAS), 10 Thornhaugh St, Bloomsbury, London WC1H 0XG
Let us know what’s happening locally, and if there are things you want to discuss.
Shelter have launched their London campaign, calling on the next
mayor to strengthen policies for ‘social rent delivery’ and to end the
conflation of so-called Affordable and London Living Rent. Read the summary and the full report:
Our first organising meeting of 2020 on 18th January had a fantastic turnout, with people from Harlow, Southampton, Aldershot and Horsham, and at least 13 London boroughs, representing council, housing association and private tenants, councillors and trade unionists. There was determination to build the campaign in the year ahead, and a good, open discussion about how to do this.
We agreed to:
1. Update the Charter for Housing Action for 2020
2. Send the Charter to Mayoral and council candidates, and to Labour leadership/deputy leadership contenders, asking for their endorsement. Also invite other groups to support and add their names.
3. Update “Vote Housing” flyer in time for May elections.
4. Need to form more contacts/links for national campaign against Universal Credit.
5. Support Justice for Grenfell in building and organising event in April in Kensington, raising critical issues around the inquiry, fire safety etc.
6. Attempt to open up discussion with Extinction Rebellion
7. Need to be vigilant about forthcoming demolition ballots, and share information asap.
8. Improve our social media operation.
9. Consider a possible housing hustings prior to May elections.
10. Use the Charter and other material for local actions, stalls etc.