In January we welcomed the Shelter commission report ‘Building for our future – A vision for social housing’ and the recommendations for:
• A 20 year programme of investment to build 3.1 million social homes
• New, effective regulation of all landlords
• Tenant organisation or tenant unions
• Reforming private renting, including ending Section 21 evictions
We think this needs to include:
• A clear commitment to build 100,000 council homes a year for rent at social rent with secure tenancies
We will campaign for all political parties to include a commitment to implement these recommendations, in their next election manifestos. Alongside this, we will actively support a campaign to implement the Shelter recommendations, and push for more action – now and in the future – to ensure a society where everyone has a safe, secure home they can afford.
We will be working with TUC London East and South East to create wider support and action on this, and on the detailed action points from the Housing Summit.
If you can, come to our next organising meeting on 16th February 2019 11am at:
33-37 Moreland St, London EC1V 8BB
All welcome to help organise action in 2019. Or email any questions or suggestions. Please see our decisions from the last meeting: